Posted by angholbrook on August 1, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Connor arranged a tour to the Interurban Railway and Restoration Shop in Cloverdale. Members met at Tim Horton's in Maple Ridge and went in convoy picking up others on the way.
The Interurban Restoration Shop is manned by volunteers who are restoring some interurban trains which ran from Chilliwack to Vancouver. The Car which is finished is Car #1225. It was built by St. Louis Car Co in 1912 and was one of 28 identical cars ordered. The car is 51 feet long and has a passenger capacity of 60. It's restoration was achieved with 20,000 volunteer hours over four years. Car 1225 was the last car on the last scheduled run before the system was decommissioned. The run ended on February 28, 1958 in Marpole.
After the tour of the shop and museum and rides on the Speeder, we travelled to Whiterock, cruised the 'drag' and met at the ABC Restaurant for lunch.
Thanks, Connor, for a great day! You can see some pictures here.